Helping You Protect Your Home

2 Ways To Get Rid Of Mold

by Bernice Stanley

All mold needs to grow is a little bit of moisture and warmth. That's why you see a lot of mold growing in your bathroom. There is plenty of moisture for it to take advantage of, and your bathroom tends to stay pretty warm. It's also why mold can be found in places where you had floods or leaks. You can take care of some mold on your own because it isn't toxic or it isn't a really bad infection. If you think it might be something like a toxic black mold or widespread, then you will need professionals to come to your house to clean it up. So, what can you do on your own?

Bleach and Water

One way to get rid of mold is to use chlorine beach. You need to dilute the bleach with some water and use that mixture to clean up the mold. You can put it in a spray bottle. If you do that, you just need to spray the area you want to clean and then use paper towels or rags to clean up the area. If you use rags, wash them in the washer to kill off any mold spores left on them. You may want to wash them in a different load than your clothes, so keep that under consideration. You can also put a bleach and water mixture in a bucket and use it to clean. Dip your cleaning tool into the bucket, clean the area, and dip it again, as needed. If you do it this way, you may want to use gloves because bleach water can be harsh on your hands. 

Mold Removal Chemicals

You may also be able to get some cleaning solutions that are designed to kill and remove mold. You may not be able to find these at your local grocery and may have to go to a home improvement store to get these. You may also have to order them online. These cleaning solutions can be strong and harsh, so make sure that you pay attention to the directions and any safety warnings before you start to clean up your mold problem. 

If you don't feel like this is something you can handle on your own, some companies specialize in mold removal and remediation. If you have a significant mold infection or think it's toxic mold, you need to have the mold removal company do the job to ensure no toxic spores spread around your house.